Here’s your February guide for money including things to budget for, some budgeting challenges to partake in, what produce is in season, what’s on sale this month, and more!
Don’t forget to budget for:
- Valentine’s Day! (treats, dinner, presents, etc.)
- Taxes (software or professional fees/ taxes owed)
- Fitness equipment/ gear (lowest price of the year as things go on sale from January!)
- Super Bowl activities (snacks, parties, game access, etc.)
1: Re-evaluate annual goals and resolutions!
We’re one month into the year and life has probably happened, whether it’s a cold, overwhelm or something else. Re-evaluate your goals and see what is and isn’t working.
Adjusting your goals isn’t failure, it’s helping you succeed over the long term.
2: Lower your electricity and heating costs
- Limit the lights in your home. Make a concerted effort to turn off lights that aren’t being used. This might also be a good time to replace any conventional light bulbs with energy-saving LED ones.
- Turn down the thermostat. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates savings of about 1% on your energy bill when you lower your thermostat just one degree – assuming you keep it lowered for eight hours. Keep your thermostat lower by, say, five degrees, and you can see how that might help your bill.
Wearing a sweater at home or cuddling under a blanket can actually save you money. After your December holiday electric bill, you’ll be happy to have a smaller bill in February.
3: Limit food costs
While it’s still chilly outside, it’s a great month to try meal planning to get some more control over your grocery and restaurant costs!
Try a few crock pot meals, make a plan and bank that money saved! Check out my Crock Pot Taco Chili Recipe here!
Also try cleaning out and organizing your freezer, and use up some of that food to offset grocery costs.
What’s on sale this month?
Everything goes on sale eventually and if you shop smart, you can save big. Please don’t allow this list to encourage you to buy things you don’t want or need, but instead educate you and allow you to plan better!
- Winter Clothing
- Gardening tools and items
- Athletic shoes and fitness items/ equipment
Expect to see President’s Day sales on…
Expect to get up to 75% off clothing, up to 70% off computers, and up to 60% off mattresses during Presidents’ Day sales.
Wait to buy
These items will be at or near their top prices in February, wait if you can! You’ll find better deals if you wait until later in the year.
- Android Phones
What produce is in season this month?
Save on groceries by shopping seasonally. Here’s what’s in-season and therefore likely on sale and super fresh in stores!
- Brussels sprouts
What are your making sure to budget for in February? Did i miss anything?